Total Pageviews

Monday, March 7, 2011

Every great journey requires a first step.

"By faith..."--Hebrews 11:8

"By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going."--Hebrews 11:8.  From the great chapter of faith, Hebrews 11.  Some call this chapter the Hall of Faith. Among those mentioned are Moses, Rahab, Joseph, Isaac and Jacob.  And of course the father of Isaac, Abraham.

Abraham.  After the flood, this is really where our story as followers of God begins.  God tells Abraham to pack his bags and start making tracks. The beginnings of Abraham's (at that time known simply as Abram) great journey can be found in Genesis 12:1-20. In Genesis 12:1-3, Abram is told by God what to do.  What I find so interesting about the Genesis 12 account is that Abram (Abraham) did not ask questions. Verse 4 tells us simply that Abram went forth as the Lord had spoken to him.  He simply obeyed, no questions asked.

No questions asked.  Ironically, the only question I have in response to this is why? Why didn't Abraham even ask where God was taking him? The answer is really quite simple. He trusted God. Hebrews 11 tells us that by faith, he obeyed and he went out, not knowing where he was going.

I bet we all wish we had faith like Abraham.  Not a day goes by that I don't ask God "Where are you taking me?" I moved out to Colorado back at the end of July. When I packed my bags and my trailer and left Southern California, I asked God, where are You taking me?  Now, just 3 months short of a year later, God continues to show me where He is taking me.  Being here at the Bear Valley Bible Institute of Denver has allowed me to go places I never thought I would go in my faith.

I have been to New Hampshire doing the Lord's work.  In just a few days I will be headed to Guatemala to do His work in Central America.  In the mean time being here at BVBID has allowed me to DAILY do His work at my home base here in Denver, Colorado through, among other things, the posting of these devo's that have reached the world all from a little library in Denver, Colorado.   

I don't know where you are at with your walk with God. I don't have any practical suggestions tonight. But I leave you with this thought. Let's be like Abraham. Let us by faith, obey God, and go out even if we don't know where He is taking us. Why? Because every great journey requires a first step. LOVE Y'ALL! GOD BLESS! THANKS FOR READING!

No comments:

Post a Comment