Total Pageviews

Friday, July 1, 2011

By now...

"For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food."--Hebrews 5:12.  The Hebrew writer reaches a point where he seems to realize that these Christians have forgotten the basics.  It seems from this text that these people have been Christians for a while now and they should know the basics and be able to teach by now.

By now.  Every time I look at this text I am reminded of something that is a sad reality in the Lord's church today.  Many people that should be teaching by now, are still living on milk.

By now.  How long have you been a Christian? Have you been a Christian long enough that you should probably be teaching by now?

By now.  A friend of mine, Ashley recently said to me that at 20 years old, she feels she needs to be more actively involved in the Lord's church.  I admire this attitude because in a lot of guys and girls her age you don't see that attitude and that desire to be involved and teach.  But just a note, she does teach children's classes at her congregation but she desires to do even more which is commendable.

By now.  Even though older Christians should be teaching by now, the blame is not entirely on them.  Today I went to lunch with an older couple from the congregation I am working at in Norco, California for the summer. When I was telling them my story, I explained to them that I had been baptized for three years before I began to investigate everything else about the Lord's church (click on the highlighted link for more info if you are curious) and got more grounded in my faith and then began teaching College/Young Adult Bible classes at 22.  Their response to me was that many parents and other authority figures have failed in the area of teaching the future generations and this is one reason many who should be, are not teaching by now.

By now.  Please bear with me but much of the reason we are losing our youth at alarming rates is because of the failure of older Christians to teach the younger ones in the faith but at the same time, the younger crowd of which I am still a part of at 27 years old (12 years old in the faith having been baptized into Christ at 15) also needs to take the initiative to grow in their faith and aspire to teaching and to leadership.  This is something that should be taking place by now.

By now.  So I do not know where you are at in your walk with Christ, maybe you became a Christian just the other day or maybe you have been a Christian for years.  Depending on which category you fall into take the time to either learn more about your faith or take the initiative to train younger generations of Christians to be able to teach the future generations.

This should all be taking place by now.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! PRAY ABOUT IT! LOVE Y'ALL! GOD BLESS!  

No comments:

Post a Comment