Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

God's Stamp of approval: The Peacemakers

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God."--Matthew 5:9.  This is the seventh Beatitude.  This is my personal favorite because I am one that has been put in the position of peacemaker on more than one occasion.  The coolest part of this is that the peacemakers shall be called sons of God.

The peacemakers.  A year or two ago, when I was working as a College/Young Adult minister in California, I found myself involved in trying to make peace between two people in the group I was working with.  I am not really at liberty to discuss the specifics of the situation but the two people involved were people I was particularly close to.  One of them I had become friends with almost instantly when I first moved there since we had similar backgrounds.  I was thankful I was able to help resolve the situation especially because of what it did for my relationship with the one I had known for years.  After this situation was said and done, Matthew 5:9 came to my mind.  I can't say for certain that it was the right thing for me to get involved but I acted because there was an absence of peace and since these two people were not exactly speaking to each other, I intervened as somewhat of a mediator in order to be a peacemaker.

The peacemakers.  I relate this story because it was I have held near to my heart.  But also according to the definition of the Greek word used here, the term peacemaker literally refers to one who endeavors to reconcile persons who have disagreements (BDAG 288).  These people have God's stamp of approval.

The peacemakers.  While I think this is the coolest Beatitude, I also find it the most interesting simply because we are told that it is the peacemakers that will be called sons of God.  I find this most interesting because as we all know Jesus is the Son of God so I ask myself how does Jesus being the Son of God connect to the concept of peacemakers being called sons of God?

The peacemakers.  Well I think the answer to the stated question is quite simple.  Jesus acted as a peacemaker on our behalf.  Because of His sacrifice on the cross for our sins and His ensuing resurrection, peace is made with us and God when we respond to the gospel message.  So it's no surprise that when we make peace between two parties, it is then and only then that we shall be called sons (or daughters) of God. Those who are the peacemakers have God's stamp of approval.

The peacemakers.  This concept is pretty straightforward.  So what are you going to do with it?  Will you be a peacemaker?

My encouragement to you tonight is this.  First of all realize that you are blessed or God approved when you strive to make peace.  That being said, take a moment and see if there is some situation that you have the capability to bring peace to.  It might be a disagreement going on at your home congregation.  Maybe you need to go make peace with someone you have had a disagreement with.  But this concept of peacemaking is not restricted to disagreements.  As Christians, we all have a duty to help the lost make peace with God by sharing the gospel message with those that need it per Mark 16:15-16 and Matthew 28:18-20.   Finally, let me ask you, are you at peace with God? Do not delay in making peace with our Lord and Savior by repenting of your sin and if need be being baptized for the forgiveness of that sin or those sins per Acts 2:38.  Whatever might be the case, all I ask is that you remember Matthew 5:9--"Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God."

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! PRAY ABOUT IT! LOVE Y'ALL! GOD BLESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment