Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 15, 2011

God's Stamp of Approval: The Persecuted part 2

"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.  Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."--Matthew 5:11-12.  The ninth and final beatitude given by Christ.  This one is not so much a quality we possess but it deals more with people's reaction toward us simply because we have chosen to wear the name of Christ.  This deals more with people's reaction toward us simply because we have chosen to wear the name CHRISTIAN.  Those that are persecuted for this have God's stamp of approval. 

The persecuted.  Ever since I have become a Christian, my life has changed in the most interesting of ways.  I became a Christian when I was 15.  I am 27 now.  I hate to admit that it was not long after I turned 18 and moved to California that I really took that one foot out of the world.  Those first three years, while I had been a Christian, I still did not fully understand the responsibility that entailed.  In retrospect, it was time constraints that did not allow me to get too far past the point of baptism for the forgiveness of my sins.  I was very much a baby in Christ for those first three years.  Yes I knew I had to make changes to my lifestyle but that was about it, belief in Christrepentance, and baptism was all I knew from ages 15-18.  So like I said it was my move to California and the things I was learning when I first got there that caused me to look deeper into this commitment I made called Christianity and what it truly meant to be a member of the Lord's church as described in the pages of the New Testament.  My intention tonight is not to tell you my story but simply to tell you that the more I have learned over the last twelve years, the more I have realized that persecution is real.  That being said, it is scriptures like Matthew 5:11-12 that keep me going strong because I know it is the persecuted that have God's stamp of approval.

The persecuted.  As we read throughout the pages of Scripture, especially through the prophets of old as well as the pages of the New Testament after the resurrection of Christ, we see persecution of Christians is a running theme.  This is especially true in the time of Roman rule.  This fact is much of what prompted Paul's letter to the Romans as well as the book of Revelation.  But we must remember that it is the persecuted that have God's stamp of approval.

The persecuted.  Naturally, I recognize that we here in the United States don't deal with the same sort of persecution our ancestors in the faith did.  However, what is happening in the United States today is a persecution of a different sort.  Jesus says in Matthew 9:37 "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few."  These words still ring true today and here is why.  As I said, Christians today are suffering persecution of a different sort.  Those that are trying their best to stick to God's Word and God's Word alone are oftentimes the ones that are looked down upon. Those of us that are trying to carry out God's will as it is found in His word are the ones being called Pharisees or legalistic.  This is not always easy to deal with especially since its many of our own brethren that are doing this to their own. All because the few are trying to wear the name CHRISTIAN and CHRISTIAN ONLY.  Fact is in the Bible, there is only one body of believers, not several such as we see today.  Yes there were several groups of believers but they were all part of one body.  See Ephesians 4:4-5 that speaks of the oneness of the believers. Furthermore, the division that exists among believers in Christ is clearly spoken against in 1 Corinthians 1:10-17.  Us that are Christians and Christians only are simply trying to return to God's authoritative word and use that as our one and only standard of authority.  But because we are, we are being persecuted for it and being deemed as Pharisees and legalists. While persecution is not always easy to accept, we must remember that it is the persecuted that have God's stamp of approval.

The persecuted.  I realize some of what might have been said in the previous paragraph is quite a pill to swallow.  However, my intention is not to put any one down.  Quite the opposite in fact.  My intention is to encourage anyone and everyone who believes in Christ to return to the Bible, God's authoritative, complete and inspired Word as your one and only standard of authority.  Doing this will come with its share of persecution.  I can speak from experience that sometimes that persecution will come from those nearest and dearest to you.  But I encourage you to remember though that it is the persecuted that have God's stamp of approval.  If you are a believer in Christ and have obeyed the gospel, I commend you and I encourage you to look to His word and His word only for your walk with Christ.  But if you believe in Christ and don't know what to do next, click on some of the highlighted links I have given in this blog for more information. May we all strive to do God's will as found in the pages of Scripture and may we strive to follow the commands of Christ as found in the pages of the New Testament.

Thank you for taking your valuable time to read this devo.  This is a very real issue so do with it as you will.  In the meantime I leave you with the words of the apostle John in Revelation 22:9 "...I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. WORSHIP GOD." (Emphasis added).

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! PRAY ABOUT IT! LOVE Y'ALL! GOD BLESS!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment