Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Father

"...Your Heavenly Father..."--Matthew 6:26
"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?"--Matthew 6:26.  This passage is part of the Sermon on the Mount, which is about righteousness.  This particular section is dealing with worry.  But this is also one of the countless passages that refers to God as Father. I encourage you to read this passage in context.

Father.  It is one word that is descriptive of one of the most intimate relationships in this world.  All of us have an earthly father.  But have we made God our heavenly Father?  What I am getting at is our relationship with God. I have found that the concept of God being Father is difficult for some to relate to.  Simply because the person's relationship with their earthly father was broken or for whatever reason, that person never even knew their earthly father.  I am blessed to be able to say that I had a good relationship with my earthly father.  Many of you know my earthly father passed away last month. My earthly father, prior to getting sick and passing away had always been there for me.  This was a blessing to be sure.  But something I have never admitted to publicly until now is that because of how dependent I was on my earthly father, I didn't see God as my heavenly Father. He is and was my Lord but I didn't not have the intimate relationship with Him that I had with my dad. It was not until my dad got sick that I really learned to lean on God to provide for me what my dad had always provided. It was then and only then that I started to call our Lord Father.  This is simply the kind of relationship we need to have with God. This is part of what this passage is getting at.  That like an earthly father should, our heavenly Father WILL provide for us.

Reader, I don't know what your relationship is/was like with your earthly father but know that God is the best Father anyone could ask for.  If you are so blessed to have an earthly father like I had, may your heavenly Father be praised.  But if for whatever reason you are/were not so blessed, lean that much closer to your heavenly Father as He will never leave you nor forsake you.  He has provided everything for us including salvation from our sins through His own Son Jesus Christ.  Will you make Him your Father? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! PRAY ABOUT IT! GOD BLESS!    

No comments:

Post a Comment