Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This is who we really belong to.

"and you belong to Christ..."--1 Corinthians 3:23.  This is a statement Paul makes in response to the divisions that exist in the church at Corinth.  The book of 1 Corinthians opens with the fact that some are saying "I am of Paul" or "I am of Apollos" or "I am of Christ."  Currently I am taking a class in 1 Corinthians so I am still in the middle of studying what is really going on here.  But I ask myself and you, what can we learn from this?

You belong to Christ.  A pretty straightforward statement I think.  Almost so obvious to the Christian that why should it even be said? Well as obvious as it might seem, I believe this is something many believers forget.  Fact is we DO need to be reminded who we belong to. I have already stated what some of the people at the Corinthian church were saying.  Paul and Apollos were people that should be looked up to and people whose example should have been followed but they too were men following in the footsteps of Jesus.  Even Paul said to follow him AS he followed Christ.  There are many great men these days that come to my mind that are great examples just like Paul.  I think of men like Denny Petrillo, Wayne Burger, or Dave Chamberlin who have served many years in the Lord's kingdom and have set great examples.  You probably have your own list of people that you think of as great examples in the faith. While we might admire these men, we must be careful that we do not place them on the throne that belongs to Christ. On that note, I know there are people that look at me as a great "Christian example" and enjoy these devo's I post.  I even have "followers" on this blog site.  Amusing to say the least that thats what they are called.  I would personally prefer they be called readers myself but it's no big deal. The point is we all belong to Christ.  But as it was put in a lesson the other day by Denny Petrillo himself, striving for greatness is not wrong.   However, we need to seek to be great in the eyes of God, not men.  I belong to Christ.  You belong to Christ. This is who we really belong to.  Pray about it. Love you all.  God bless!

Thanks for all your encouragement and prayers everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment