Total Pageviews

Friday, April 8, 2011

Psalm 42: Part 2 Deep Calls to Deep


"Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him for the help of His presence." Psalm 42:5.   This is the first verse of the second section of Psalm 42.  Here for a moment, the psalmist turns his attention away from his own sorrow and reminds himself that he must hope in God.  The section encompasses Psalm 42:5-8. Scroll over to read.

Hope in God.  Beginning in verse 5, the psalmist begins to look to God as he realizes if he any hope of getting out of his horrible circumstances, his only hope is God and God alone.  This section becomes a prayer in and of itself.  In this section, the psalmist's attention is entirely on God. He acknowledges his sorrow but clings to God. He declares to God that his soul is in such despair.  The term "deep calls to deep" in Psalm 42:7 shows us how deep someones pain can penetrate. And finally in Psalm 42:8, the word daytime is a symbol for the joyful times the psalmist once had when the Lord was showing His loving kindness.  But now it is night time for the psalmist and all he has to cling to is a song of praise to the Lord.

Even in my hardest of times, I can't say I have ever been as low as the psalmist becomes in this set of verses. But  in some of my friends lives, I have seen them go through struggles where it seems the tough times are all around them. The psalmist here has the same feeling, he compares the troubles he has to waves rolling in one after another but his hope is still in the Lord.

I don't know what trials you are going through. My prayer is that they are not as overwhelming as we read about here in this section of Psalm 42. The message of this section of Psalm is clear, that our only hope is in God. Again, I don't know what you might be going through but my suggestion to you as last time is the same. If nothing else, sing a song of praise to God such as Farther Along or As The Deer.  

I'll be back on Monday night for the final part of this short series on Psalm 42.  Thanks for reading! Love y'all! God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment